FYI - Suspension of Cogent access to ARIN Whois

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Jan 27 17:55:29 UTC 2020

I now longer have a dog in this fight, but “The” peering cake was my project (such as it was)...

Cogent has, to the best of my knowledge, always had rather large voids in their IPv6 connectivity. To the best of my knowledge, HE and Google are the most significant of these voids, but I believe there are others as well.

Some quotes I received from Cogent representatives over the years (some may be slightly paraphrased):

	“Hurricane is too small to peer IPv6 with us… They should just buy transit from us.”
	“Why should we peer with HE? Our customers aren’t reporting it as a problem.”
	“Congested links allow us to pass the savings on to our customers.”
	“We see from ARIN whois that you recently registered an ASN. Want to buy transit from us?” (many times over several years)
		(This particular violation of the ARIN Whois AUP/TOS eventually resulted in Cogent being suspended from using the service)

Owen