akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

Paul Ebersman list-nanog2 at dragon.net
Mon Jan 27 16:41:19 UTC 2020

first internet for me was a 300 baud modem from offsite to someplace
buried in the pentagon that I think aggregated all of us into a single
56k upstream.

at 300 baud, you could actually read faster than the screen scrolled. we
started getting 1200 baud, then 2400 baud but the USAF wouldn't let you
upgrade just to get "faster", only to replace broken gear... so a large
number of 1200 baud modems somehow dropped accidentally on the
floor. 10-15 times in some cases.

first personal connection was a dedicated dialin using a telebit
trailblazer at 9600 bps. that was a benefit of work.