Reminiscing our first internet connections (WAS) Re: akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

John Von Essen john at essenz.com
Mon Jan 27 12:55:19 UTC 2020

Similar….

In ’93 I had a 2400bps modem and an $40/month ISP dialup account for 10 hours a month - my Mac IIci was zooming!

I quickly upgraded to 9600, then 14400, then 56k. I rocked the 56k till about 2003 - mind you all my email was over telnet/ssh/pine and websites in 2003 still worked somewhat well on 56k.

I tried getting ISDN in the late 90s, but at the time Bell Atlantic had horrible pricing for ISDN.

In those early days I remember setting up a download to start before bed so it could run all night, then wake up the morning to see my freshly downloaded 300KB file — assuming the phone line remained stable.

-John