Data on latency and loss-rates during congestion DDoS attacks

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sun Jan 26 12:16:53 UTC 2020

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 at 13:11, Etienne-Victor Depasquale <edepa at ieee.org> wrote:

> " he/she doubts that delays increase significantly under network congestion since he/she thinks that the additional queuing is something mostly in small routers such as home routers (and maybe like the routers used in our emulation testbed) "
>
> Wow, this is the first time I've found an academic challenging the increase of delay in routers under network congestion.

I don't know if context implies reviewer was academic. Whilethe common
case remains that latencies per link jump from low microseconds to
tens of milliseconds during congestion of BB interface, there are also
a lot of deployments using devices (trident, tomahawk) with minimal
buffering not allowing even millisecond of buffering during
congestion. Reviewer may have thought of those devices when they
answered, but I agree that answer would be generally wrong.

--
  ++ytti