akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

Paul Ebersman list-nanog2 at dragon.net
Fri Jan 24 23:59:34 UTC 2020

bzs> When we, The World, first began allowing the general public onto
bzs> the internet in October 1989 we actually had a (mildly shared*) T1
bzs> (1.544mbps) UUNET link. So not so bad for the time. Dial-up
bzs> customers shared a handful of 2400bps modems, we still have them.

The World was also our (UUNET) Boston hub. And at that time,
cross-country core backbone links were T1. We all thought the NSF T3
backbone was a government boon-doggle. :)