Dual Homed BGP

Octavio Alvarez octalnanog at alvarezp.org
Fri Jan 24 23:51:25 UTC 2020

On 1/23/20 6:01 PM, Brian wrote:
> Hello all. I am having a hard time trying to articulate why a Dual Home
> ISP should have full tables. My understanding has always been that full
> tables when dual homed allow much more control. Especially in helping to
> prevent Async routes.

If you don't have full tables you will certainly have a default route
somewhere, either set statically by you or advertised by your upstream.

Accidents may happen: your ISP may blackhole a destination; sometimes
they adjust loads, sometimes their redundancy is not properly set up or
they may have an otherwise incorrect BGP configuration. Sometimes they
just mess up.

If you have full tables, you will simply stop getting the advertisements
for the bad destinations from the bad ISP and your routers will take
care of it because they will keep getting the advertisements from the
other exit.

If you don't have full tables and the mistake is in a destination for
which the default route is used, your traffic will most probably be lost
because they don't have enough information to know a different exit and
you may get a call at midnight. It may or may not happened to me. ;-)

Octavio.