Dual Homed BGP

Cummings, Chris ccummings at coeur.com
Fri Jan 24 17:22:39 UTC 2020

We have full tables from 2 ISPs at just one datacenter, and it is nice in the case of partial reachability issues—If one ISP loses access to routes to a destination but the other one doesn’t, for example. For us, the decision to do full tables was easy, as we are running 2 MX150s which can very easily handle the load and convergence is still less than a minute or so. As far as optimal path goes, full tables really doesn't help us much, so we made sure to get matching speed circuits just to make things simple. We have AT&T and CenturyLink, and most things prefer CenturyLink as they are pretty well peered due to all of their acquisitions. It would be interesting to see a distribution plot of ASPATH length, I would bet that a huge chunk  of our routes are only 2-3 hops away.

/chris