akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

Simon Leinen simon.leinen at switch.ch
Fri Jan 24 10:43:55 UTC 2020

Paul Nash writes:
> A bit of perspective on bandwidth and feeling old.  The first
> non-academic connection from Africa (Usenet and Email, pre-Internet)
> ran at about 9600 bps over a Telebit Trailblazer in my living room.

For your amusement, this latest e-bloodbath, erm -sports update, at 48GB
("PC" version), would take about 463 days (~15 months) to complete at
9600 bps (not counting overhead like packet headers etc.)

At 64kbps (ISDN/Antarctica) you could do it in 69 days, maybe even
finishing before the next - undoubtedly bigger - release comes out.
--
Simon.
[I conservatively used decimal Gigabytes, not "Gibibytes" - at 48GiB the