IPv6 Prefix Delegation to customers.

Steven Karp smkarp at galliumnetworks.com
Fri Jan 17 00:51:45 UTC 2020

Brandon,

Juniper routers also snoop on via the built-in DHCP relay for the prefix delegation (PD).   The PD routes are inserted into the routing table as "access" routes with a next-hop of the WAN DHCP lease address for the CPE.  I normally configure all this in a BGP signaled L3VPN that automatically propagates these "access" routes to the routers through my MPLS network.  To link the PD pool of /48 prefixes to the right PE-CE access subnet, you create a shared-subnet in the DHCPv6 server that includes the /48 prefixes and the WAN prefix.

forwarding-options {
    dhcp-relay {
        dhcpv6 {
            overrides {
                allow-snooped-clients;
            }
            group group1 {
                active-server-group server-group1;
                relay-agent-interface-id {
                    use-option-82;
                }
                interface ae0.10;
            }
            server-group {
                server-group1 {
                   /* Central DHCPv6 servers */
                    2603:0:0:100::5;
                    2603:0:0:101::5;
                }
            }
        }
        forward-only;
        server-group {
            server-group1 {
                10.10.10.11;
                10.10.11.11;
            }
        }
        group group1 {
            active-server-group server-group1;
            overrides {
                allow-snooped-clients;
                layer2-unicast-replies;
                trust-option-82;
            }
           /* I only enable route-suppression of access routes for IPv4 */
            route-suppression {
                access-internal;
            }
            interface ae0.10;