A survey on performance diagnosis for Network functions/middleboxes

Yu, Minlan minlanyu at g.harvard.edu
Mon Jan 13 15:00:00 UTC 2020

Dear Nanog community,

Today's networks (data centers, ISPs, and enterprises) all run many
hardware middleboxes and software network functions. The performance of
these components is critical for network management and user experiences.
However, when performance problems happen, it often takes a lot of human
efforts to instrument and debug these systems especially when many network
functions interact with each other and with traffic dynamics.

We are a group of researchers from Harvard and AT&T who are building new
diagnosis tools that can automatically find potential root causes for
performance problems in network functions (especially those tail latency
problems that are hard to diagnose).

We're reaching out to the NANOG community to understand the performance
problems you have seen and your needs on diagnosis tools. This will greatly
help us to incorporate your needs in our tool. We plan to release our
debugging tool for the community to use.

We greatly appreciate your help in filling out the survey below. It should
take less than 10 minutes to complete. The survey and the collected data
are anonymous (so please do *not* include information that may identify you
or your organization). All questions are optional, so if you don't like a
question or don't know the answer, please skip it. In the survey, we use
network functions as a general term to represent both hardware and software
middleboxes. A summary of the aggregate results will be published as a part
of a scientific article later this year.

Survey URL:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdx1j2BZzk_iEuIqHLDF20Rv_LuxLcrGze00Y7CHdQwjxS1Jg/viewform?usp=sf_link

We would also be extremely grateful if you could forward this email to any
operator you know beyond this NANOG mailing list.

Minlan Yu
Associate Professor
Harvard University
http://minlanyu.seas.harvard.edu/