Cost Recovery Surcharge & Va Personal Property Tax Recovery for IP Transit

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Thu Jan 9 15:36:36 UTC 2020

On 1/8/20 11:30 AM, William Herrin wrote:
> Did this tax change unpredictably, or am I still safe saying it's
> deceitful to add a fee for it on top of the advertised and contracted
> service price?

IMO, there's no reason to expect this tax to be directly passed on to an
end customer just like there's no reason to expect the company's income
tax to be directly passed on to the end customer.  It's a cost of doing
business and needs to be included in the up-front negotiated rates.

Sales tax is somewhat special in that regard as it occurs right at the
point of purchase and is, in some areas at least, REQUIRED to be
itemized to the customer.

If it's not in the contract, I'd try to get out of it.
--
Brandon Martin