BGP Path Attribute Filtering, YES or NO?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Jan 8 13:12:03 UTC 2020

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 at 15:09, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

> From our side, on peering links, re-write all MED to 0 and scrubs all communities, and replace them with our own.

If you rewrite MED, you SHOULD rewrite origin (which RFC prohibits,
incorrectly). I can understand rationale for rewriting MED, you don't
want to cold potato, which is fair and certainly cannot be argued to
be objectively wrong, since there may be a market where people will
abuse your cold potato to save on their own infrastructure costs.

If you rewrite MED but not origin, then you're not really
accomplishing anything.
--
  ++ytti