FCC proposes $10 Million fine for spoofed robocalls

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Jan 8 12:37:25 UTC 2020

On Sat, 2020-01-04 at 16:32 +0200, Max Tulyev wrote:

> Also, we implemented immediate answer and voice menu option, it says
> "Welcome, press ... to reach ...!" and circles. So me (as the telco
> operator) receive the money for call termination, and real customer
> do
> not get a spam call. Looks like captcha in the Internet!

Ha!  As discussed earlier in this thread, I have implemented the same
thing.  But I am just a single end-user, not a telco.  It's so
incredibly effective that I have wondered often if any telcos had
actually implemented such a thing for their customers, even as an
option, or even a paid service.

I have also wondered though how ineffective it might become with wide
deployment effectively upping the ante in the arms race.  The captcha
would have to get more difficult.  "Enter the result of 1+3 to
reach...".  I wonder how many real people that would trip up though
with "WTF?".  Lots would probably try to press 1 and then 3, etc.

Cheers,
b.