Cost Recovery Surcharge & Va Personal Property Tax Recovery for IP Transit

Rob Seastrom rs-lists at seastrom.com
Wed Jan 8 10:58:47 UTC 2020

>> On Jan 6, 2020, at 10:30, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>
>> - Va Personal Property Tax Recovery (1.8%)

> If it's not written in to your contract, it's a breach of contract. Either way it's a deceitfully imposed surcharge, not a state tax. Virginia does not tax the sale of services like transit and colo. More, the only personal property tax I've heard of in Virginia is on motor vehicles.

Hi Bill,

It’s called “business tangible personal property tax”, and it’s technically levied by the counties, not by the state (although authorized by the legislature, as all local government activities must be in a Dillon’s Rule state).

Loudoun’s page on this (chosen at random because I live here... and can see The Cloud’s Cloud from my house) is at https://www.loudoun.gov/1556/Business-Tangible-Personal-Property-Tax

-r