ICANN extracts $20m signing fee for $1bn dot-com price increases and guess who's going to pay for it?

Keith Medcalf kmedcalf at dessus.com
Wed Jan 8 01:57:27 UTC 2020

On NANOG list <nanog at nanog.org>, Dan Hollis <goemon at sasami.anime.net>
wrote:

>https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/01/07/icann_verisign_fees/

Operator of the dot-com registry, Verisign, has decided to pay DNS
overseer ICANN $4m a year for the next five years in order to “educate
the wider ICANN community about security threats.”

>98% of the comments were opposed.

>How many / which companies would have to get onboard in order to get
>enough support for an icann alternative?

>Is such a thing even feasible?

Forget about being opposed or not.  If ICANN wants to buy education
about security threats why are they receiving money?  Quite obviously
something fishy is going on (or El Reg is full'o'shit).

I'd like a Phd in Physics.  Please give me $2million for each of the
next five years for the privilege of lecturing me.

--
The fact that there's a Highway to Hell but only a Stairway to Heaven
says a lot about anticipated traffic volume.