Reaching out to Sony NOC, resolving DDoS Issues - Need POC

Hugo Slabbert hugo at slabnet.com
Tue Jan 7 19:50:32 UTC 2020

> Well, in almost any* case blacklisting reflection vectors by IP is an
> insanely bad practice.
> * — I can *think* of a use case when this could be an appropriate solution
> (I recall Netscout/Arbor once had such a use case), but in the overwhelming
> majority of incidents it is absolutely not, and you need to be one hundred
> percent sure you know what you're doing.

Agreed; drop the vector not the address, but was looking to just clarify
the direction of things a bit.

NB: I have just checked the IP addresses the OP has provided me with
> (offlist) against our database of known reflection sources, and I
> confirm that none of those seem to ever host UDP software vulnerable
> to amplification

ty; good to know.

They decide to completely ignore the emails, it seems like we're being
> either spoofed *or people are attacking us with Sony's IP space*.

So you're getting inbound traffic that has Sony IP space source addresses
in it?  That does start to sound more like people trying to reflect off of
you to Sony.  What's the protocol and destination ports on the traffic
you're receiving with Sony source addresses (and the source ports for good
measure, if they're fairly consistent)?

Hugo Slabbert       | email, xmpp/jabber: hugo at slabnet.com
pgp key: B178313E   | also on Signal