5G roadblock: labor

Andrey Kostin ankost at podolsk.ru
Tue Jan 7 16:49:55 UTC 2020

Paul Nash писал 2020-01-06 18:45:

> Depending on what you are after, folk like Ruckus and Cisco have had
> centrally-managed enterprise WiFi for many years.  I manage a Ruckus
> installation for an apartment building where there is one SSID from
> about 150 APs, users have a unique password per apartment, which lands
> them onto that apartment’s VLAN, regardless of where they are in the
> building.
>
> Works really well.

I'm had some aquintance with this technology and participated once in
WiFi network rollout on a relatively big stadium. All these wifi
controllers have their limits that in my understanding are significantly
lower than mobile networks. You can cover one building or campus, but
how about the next building on the street? It it's owner has a different
system it may be difficult to connect them even aside of bureaucratic
reasons.
The main asset of wireless networks is their infrastructure and coverage
that they were building from 90-s. If you have the network that covers a
large area you can deploy any technology that fits in it. Definitely
people from mobile networks have their own way of thinking as well as
transport and telephony engineers but if wifi could satisfy all the
requirements they would probably be deploying it. Do you remember Wimax?
At that time it was better for data then mobile networks but probably
demand for data services wasn't big enough at that time and then new
specs were developed that partially used existing mobile technologies.
I'm not a protagonist of mobile networks as I'm working in fixed
networks field, but you can't ignore the fact that at the moment they
have widest coverage, not the best everywhere but the most unversal
service, non-elastic demand and the best prospective for future growth.

Kind regards,
Andrey