FYI - Suspension of Cogent access to ARIN Whois

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Jan 7 13:49:13 UTC 2020

On 7 Jan 2020, at 5:01 AM, Martijn Schmidt via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:

> Out of curiosity, since we aren't affected by this ourselves, I know of cases where Cogent has sub-allocated IP space to its customers but which those customers originate from their own ASN and then announce to multiple upstream providers.
>
> So while the IP space is registered to Cogent and allocated to its customer, the AS-path might be something like ^174_456$ but it's entirely possible that ARIN would observe it as ^123_456$ instead. Are such IP address blocks affected by the suspension?

As noted earlier, ARIN has suspended service for all Cogent-registered IP address blocks - this is being done as a discrete IP block access list applied to relevant ARIN Whois services, so the routing of the blocks are immaterial - a customer using a suballocation of Cogent space could be affected but customers with their own IP blocks blocks that are simply being routed by Cogent are not affected.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO