FYI - Suspension of Cogent access to ARIN Whois

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Jan 7 11:25:53 UTC 2020

On 7/Jan/20 13:12, Martijn Schmidt wrote:

> I don't think Cogent signed ROAs for any of their legacy IP space from
> which they make sub-allocations to customers.. so for networks doing ROV
> it should just evaluate to an unknown state, rather than an invalid state.

Indeed... it was just a reminder to anyone at Cogent that looks after
BGP security (or any of their customers interested in the same) to keep
this in mind.

As part of our deployment of dropping Invalids across eBGP sessions with
customers in recent weeks, this is one of the issues we've come up
against numerous times. We were already against inconsistent AS
origination before RPKI; this emphasizes that issue without proper care
to the needs of RPKI.

Mark.