FYI - Suspension of Cogent access to ARIN Whois

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 09:38:28 UTC 2020

I have two separate entries for sets of phone numbers/email addresses,
associated with my name, that must be in Cogent's CRM system as cold leads.

About every six months I am contacted by a new person whom I've never heard
of before. My theory is that each newbie Cogent sales rep has been assigned
a bunch of random cold leads to call and attempt to sell.

The most recent tactic is to request 1 or 10Gb IP transit at impossible to
service sites, such as AT&T Long Lines towers on top of 1000 meter high
mountains, in Deadhorse Alaska, or the CLLI codes for the COs of tiny
coastal villages on Vancouver Island, British Columbia.

Invariably I never hear anything back from that person again.

The cycle repeats again six months later.