5G roadblock: labor

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Mon Jan 6 23:04:23 UTC 2020

On 1/6/20 2:42 PM, Sabri Berisha wrote:
> ----- On Jan 6, 2020, at 1:44 PM, Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> On 1/6/20 1:21 PM, Sabri Berisha wrote:
>>> Low Earth Orbit satellites do not have a fixed position and move in a low
>>> orbit.
>> But at what cost to latency? Sounds like gamers would probably hate it.
> Oneweb claims 32ms average. https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/07/onewebs-low-earth-satellites-hit-400mbps-and-32ms-latency-in-new-test/
>
> This is one of the main advantages of LEO over geostationary. LEO is around
> 1,200 miles above the earth, GEO is around 22,000 miles above the earth. That's
> a big difference in latency. Remember that radio travels at the speed of light.
>
> That translates to ~118ms for GEO, and 6.4ms for LEO (one way trip). That means
> that the round-trip latency without any transponder latency equals 12.8ms
> for a low earth orbit signal, compared to 236ms for a GEO signal. Big difference.
>
> This is a good read perhaps: https://www.iridium.com/blog/2018/09/11/satellites-101-leo-vs-geo/

Yeah, I know the difference. GEO sucks mightily. But doesn't this have a
lot to do with what your closest base station is, or is that
insignificant in the face of 2400 miles up and down?  I just checked
with my provider and it's about 20ms first hop, which seems pretty high
to me.

And I wonder about jitter too since it's moving and handing off.

Mike