5G roadblock: labor

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Mon Jan 6 22:42:50 UTC 2020

----- On Jan 6, 2020, at 1:44 PM, Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com wrote:

Hi,

> On 1/6/20 1:21 PM, Sabri Berisha wrote:
>>
>> Low Earth Orbit satellites do not have a fixed position and move in a low
>> orbit.

> But at what cost to latency? Sounds like gamers would probably hate it.

Oneweb claims 32ms average. https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/07/onewebs-low-earth-satellites-hit-400mbps-and-32ms-latency-in-new-test/

This is one of the main advantages of LEO over geostationary. LEO is around
1,200 miles above the earth, GEO is around 22,000 miles above the earth. That's
a big difference in latency. Remember that radio travels at the speed of light.

That translates to ~118ms for GEO, and 6.4ms for LEO (one way trip). That means
that the round-trip latency without any transponder latency equals 12.8ms
for a low earth orbit signal, compared to 236ms for a GEO signal. Big difference.

This is a good read perhaps: https://www.iridium.com/blog/2018/09/11/satellites-101-leo-vs-geo/

I no longer work for a satellite ISP, for the record.

Thanks,

Sabri