5G roadblock: labor

Andrey Kostin ankost at podolsk.ru
Mon Jan 6 21:46:57 UTC 2020

Mark Tinka писал 2020-01-04 00:43:
> On 4/Jan/20 00:26, Andrey Kostin wrote:
>

>> Could be true very soon. When supporting cable infrastructure will
>> become too expensive they will cut it in lieu of mobile, like many
>> railways were decomissioned earlier. Must be a local tipping point in
>> each area but it shouldn't be long to wait.
>
> Ummh, and what technology do you think is running the base stations
> that
> are transmitting at 6G, 7G?
>
> Mark.

I'm talking only about last mile access. Wireless is going the same path
as fixed access before: from big central facilities to end-user as much
close as provided services bring enough revenue to cover upgrade costs
and create some profit. With copper phone lines the situation has
already turned backward because revenue from services isn't sufficient.
We all know physics and Shennon/Kotelnikov theorema. To get more speed
more spectrum is needed but more spectrum is available in higher
frequencies, that have shorter coverage.
Where it's going to stop - I don't know, 6G or 7G or XG ;) Only making
enough money is needed to go to the next G.
Regarding comparison WiFi and cellular networks, it's clear that WiFi
won't be able to compete with mobile in terms of scalability. Building
WiFi in public places like stadiums is already became a job
specialization, but every such implementation has it's limit. On the
other hand, 5G as I can see is a big step in this direction in terms of
spectrum and subscribers management. Mobile networks are developed for
central control of all the components on all layers, that's why mobile
standards contain thousands pages. WiFi is a technology for local access
and to make it more scalable means to go through the same development
process as mobile networks did. Something can probably be improved but
even if it succeed it won't be cheap anymore. Currently WiFi is only
describes single layer of connectivity, and this is why it's cheap, but
on the next layer (i.e. IPv6 implementation) we can see incompatibility
between "standardised" WiFi devices. Compatibility on many layers is
necessary to orchestrate all of them, so not going to happen. Yes, WiFi
and mobile can be compared in radio, but not in anything else.

Kind regards,
Andrey