FYI - Suspension of Cogent access to ARIN Whois

Christian Seitz chris at in-berlin.de
Mon Jan 6 19:49:01 UTC 2020

Am 06.01.20 um 16:58 schrieb David Guo via NANOG:
> Good News! But we still received several spams from Cogent for our RIPE
> and APNIC ASNs.
They seem to look at changes in more databases than just ARIN...

Several months ago I received a new ASN from RIPE for a company that is in
business for more than 25 years now, but always used static routing for their
PI space from one transit provider. 2 days after the ASN has been registered
in the RIPE database somebody from Cogent called me as the admin-c and asked
if we need transit for the new ASN or help with BGP.

Also, as we all know, Cogent calls or sends emails every few months although
you tell them to remove your contact details from their database. Once in,
never out...

P.S.: Thanks to ARIN for blocking Cogent from the database. Others should do
the same until Cogent stops spamming the contacts for sales reasons.

Chris