Cost Recovery Surcharge & Va Personal Property Tax Recovery for IP Transit

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Mon Jan 6 16:37:09 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 10:54 AM Christopher Morrow
<morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 10:30 AM William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>
> > If it's not written in to your contract, it's a breach of contract. Either way it's a deceitfully imposed surcharge, not a state tax. Virginia does not tax the sale of services like transit and colo. More, the only personal property tax I've heard of in Virginia is on motor vehicles.
> >

> also, houses and ( I think ) boats. (personal property tax)

and mobile homes, and aircraft... oh, and, surprisingly, Flight
Simulators (a rate of $0.01 per $100 of assessed value). I guess that
this means that if I buy a joystick from amazon for $19.99 I owe the
country 0.002c...

> I could imagine this is: "Hey, have our customers pay our
> realty/property taxes for us!" plan... or that perhaps they are
> 'leasing you ground space" and passing on the %-age of their total
> space's tax footprint to you.
>
> not saying either of those sounds terrific though :)

Yup - this sounds like the "We will charge you a modem rental fee,
even if you don't, you know, actually rent a modem..." (like
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/07/frontier-customer-bought-his-own-router-but-has-to-pay-10-rental-fee-anyway/)

Warren "Waitin' for the servicefinder.se spam" Kumari.

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf