GPS Sync Outage

Brandon Price PriceB at SherwoodOregon.gov
Thu Jan 2 20:40:33 UTC 2020

Was there ever any additional information to come out about this? My Cambuim lost sync starting at 21:00:23 UTC 12/31/2019 and didn’t come back until I rebooted the unit…

Brandon Price
Senior Network Engineer
City of Sherwood, Sherwood Broadband
Desk: 503.625.4258
Cell: 971.979.2182

From: NANOG <nanog-bounces at nanog.org> On Behalf Of Forrest Christian (List Account)
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 5:12 PM
To: Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net>
Cc: nanog list <nanog at nanog.org>
Subject: Re: GPS Sync Outage

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you are expecting this email and/or know the content is safe.

One of my hats is to design/manufacture/sell GPS third party timing receivers for Cambium Radios.    It seems like something happened around 2PM MST today which caused (at a minimum) certain Globaltop/Sierra Wireless GPS modules to quit receiving signals from the GPS constellations.   Because these modules are pretty well respected as far as the quality of the timing signal (normally) and relative low cost, they tend to be integrated in a lot of devices, including my products, the official Cambium Products, and I understand the gear from other manufacturers.

So far, a power cycle/reset of the GPS module seems to solve the problem.

I haven't had enough time to process all of the data I have to know more details yet, but I can confirm the widespread nature of this event.

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 5:39 PM Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net<mailto:jared at puck.nether.net>> wrote:

> On Dec 31, 2019, at 5:32 PM, Andreas Ott <andreas at naund.org<mailto:andreas at naund.org>> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 05:08:17PM -0500, Matt Hoppes wrote:
>> Is anyone else seeing GPS timing source outages across the U. S. In the last two hours?
>
> On what hardware/firmware are you seeing this?
>
> Nothing unusual in the Bay Area so far, in other words "All Quiet on the
> Western Front". I am seeing receivers synced to at least 6 or 7 sats. Two
> different locations; one Garmin 18LVC, one uBlox 6M hardware. There is
> also no chatter about it on the time-nuts list where I would suspect to
> see it first.

There’s a fair amount of hardware that uses GPS sync for wireless and I’m guessing this is likely a vendor bug w/ UBNT hardware, but it’s also good to know if it’s broader than that.

I know there’s some interesting java bugs related to the switchover for 2020 as well, eg:

https://twitter.com/NmVAson/status/1207820284268597249<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FNmVAson%2Fstatus%2F1207820284268597249&data=02%7C01%7Cpriceb%40sherwoodoregon.gov%7C2646aa8cafe04edeea0208d78e580ad4%7C3e3836d4f74c41a59e565410b65447f9%7C0%7C0%7C637134381103987580&sdata=lF4bclIIso7IUwoWnZGgKlBBMYwUHuuF%2FqDot0kYdrE%3D&reserved=0>

I know of at least once place that was hit by this.

- Jared

--
- Forrest