Cost Recovery Surcharge & Va Personal Property Tax Recovery for IP Transit

Siyuan Miao aveline at misaka.io
Mon Jan 6 14:39:14 UTC 2020

NANOG,

We've recently signed contract of colocation + IP transit with a local
provider in Northern Virginia.

Co-location services is okay but we found something unusual on our IP
transit invoices.

- Va Personal Property Tax Recovery (1.8%)

- Cost Recovery Surcharge (3%)?

We've talked with our providers but they told us:

> we use a tax engine that provides the taxes/rates to our services. If you
would like further language on them, please let me know and I will have
some one send that over.

Has anyone else ran into this? If this is a legit "surcharge"?
Also, IP transit isn't a property, why is there a "Property Tax" for IP
transit?

Regards,
Siyuan Miao