5G roadblock: labor

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Jan 5 16:53:03 UTC 2020

On 5/Jan/20 14:48, John D'Ambrosia wrote:

> Sabri
> At the very end you note 100base-t as a precursor to 400g.  100baset really found its success as an access solution - computer connections.  400GbE will be an aggregation / core solution.  It will be some time if ever where 400GbE is used as an access solution - perhaps some hpc applications.
>
> Why?
>
> Cost and no need for that sort of bw.

And in those days, you'd be lucky if you can sustain 2Mbps on wi-fi.

Today, I can do several-hundred Mbps on all my 802.11ac devices in my
house (up to 867Mbps to my laptop and wireless-USB-adapter-equipped
desktop). Even if we had to compromise this somewhat for massive, dense
deployment in crowded locations within busy cities, the utility would
still be miles ahead of what we got from Fast-E 25 years ago.

Mark.