5G roadblock: labor

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Jan 4 13:20:10 UTC 2020

On 4/Jan/20 12:44, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo via NANOG wrote:

> It's happening where I live, now.  My ISP recently announced that all
> the POTS lines, and any network connectivity over them, would be
> decommissioned shortly, and affected subscribers moved to cellular
> instead.  It's happening all over the country, as the company that owns
> the POTS infrastructure has decided it's too expensive to keep
> maintaining it.

They are all doing it.

A short while back, Telia announced no more copper in Sweden by (was it)
2020 or 2021... something along those lines. See here:

https://www.teliacompany.com/en/news/news-articles/2018/the-fall-of-copper-watch-telia-shift-technologies/

Telkom South Africa are doing the same, albeit a bit more poorly -
removing copper lines without having a real terrestrial alternative
apart from some dodgy wireless in areas with no fibre. The point, they
all see maintaining copper as wasting cash. I'd agree.

But this generally applies to operators that have both land and cellular
services. Most ISP's will only have just the one option, and in most
cases, it will be land.

Mark.