5G roadblock: labor

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 06:37:33 UTC 2020

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 12:26 AM Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

> On 3/Jan/20 21:49, Christopher Morrow wrote:
>
> > the local folk have been pimping the idea that: "hey, just run a
> > 4g/lte/g5 cell service inside your building/business, backhaul over
> > cable-modem/etc and jam on..."
>
> How is this different from just hooking up your wi-fi AP to fibre and
> offering WiFi Calling, aside from being a little cheaper :-)?

it's nor really except that a bunch of the radio/client management is
'easier' in cellular than in wifi. managing roaming COULD be saner as
well even, so when you walk out of the shop and off their pico-cell
you can transition the running call (or data stream since it's all
just voip/ip anyway) to the next network (some gsm/lte/4/5g thing
perhaps.

The main point, the part I missed I think in this thread bit, was that
to make this all work the cost of the chip that does 4g/5g/lte has to
be equivalent to the wifi chipset, such that each thing that has wifi
also just has cellular. It may not work out that way, who knows :)