5G roadblock: labor

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Jan 4 05:13:52 UTC 2020

On 3/Jan/20 20:35, Keith Medcalf wrote:

> How absolutely awful that must be, to always be relegated to slow and insecure childrens band.  I turn off childrens band (WiFi) on my phone with extreme prejudice and it stays that way.  I have yet to meet a childrens band network (WiFi) that was worth connecting too.
>
> Then again I don't play on my phone ...

I guess the point is that there is an opportunity to improve the quality
of dodgy wi-fi deployments because there is a need to serve more
eyeballs more quickly, and 5G, while promising, just has too many
unanswered questions right now.

So since money has to be blown, where do we blow it?

Needless to say, at least on my iPhone, (certain) updates and downloads
are generally only done on wi-fi networks, because they are trying to
protect users from expensive data costs.

GSM data currently works today because of the artificial data caps,
i.e., folk self-police. Open it up and I doubt it would be any different
from poorly-deployed wi-fi. But the problem is the kids don't want to
pay for data, and they don't like being limited with artificial data
caps, and they are the ones driving what the Internet will look like for
their generation. So what gives?

Mark.