5G roadblock: labor

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Jan 4 05:09:00 UTC 2020

On 3/Jan/20 17:38, Paul Nash wrote:

> They’d probably choose whichever popped un onto the device first.

I don't know about Android-based phones, but my iPhone ALWAYS wants
wi-fi, whether it came before or after GSM. At times, the prompting to
say, "Hey, there is a wi-fi hot spot right here, do you want to connect
to it" can be quite annoying.

For example, Diners Club partners with a ton of wi-fi networks around
the world, and the moment I am in a location where my phone (and the
Diners Club app) detect a wi-fi AP that is in their partner pool, it
wants me to connect to it. And it just works...

> FWIW, Rogers in Canada are moving to unlimited cellular data, with a monthly threshold, beyond which they reserve the right to throttle (but do not always throttle).  Bell probably do something similar.
>
> The threshold increases with the number of devices on the account, and any throttling applies to all devices on that account.

If I'm honest, to me, that just sounds like a marketing ploy... call it
unlimited to bring them on, but when things get tight and we need to
throttle back (which WILL, not MAY) happen, hey, we told them so. And to
be fair, if they get customers on the back of that, more power to them.
I'm not one to hate clever business practices :-).

Mark.