5G roadblock: labor

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Jan 3 08:58:30 UTC 2020

On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 at 10:53, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

> > 5G is mostly about getting more unregulated data-related fees.
>
> Well, the kids don't want to pay for data. Heck, neither do I.
>
> On that basis alone, Any-G won't kill wi-fi :-).

Williams comment seems somewhat market specific and perhaps even
overly negative. Mostly 5G is about better radio performance in dense
metro installations, uninteresting metric for many markets. Some
markets already do +20GB/month _average_ on 4G subscription with
+50Mbps datarates, lower than DSL latency and <20EUR MRC. In these
markets many opt not to have any other data connection but 4G, the
benefits are compelling, cheaper, faster, lower latency, shorter MTTR
and easier to switch to competition compared to DSL.

--
  ++ytti