power to the internet

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Jan 2 21:24:21 UTC 2020

In article <87y2up1vc4.fsf at mid.deneb.enyo.de> you write:
>I found the connection rather puzzling (that is, how switching off
>power distribution prevents wildfires or at least reduces their risk).
>I found some explanations here (downed lines, vegetation contact,
>conductor slap, repetitive faults, apparatus failures):
>
><https://wildfiremitigation.tees.tamus.edu/faqs/how-power-lines-cause-wildfires>

Oh, you're in Europe.  You wouldn't believe how cruddy US power
distribution systems are.  California is particularly bad becuase the
populist state regulator has keep retail prices low at the cost of
reliability, safety, and everything else.

Also keep in mind that California has conditions seen nowhere in
Europe: bone dry forests with 40C temperaturees and 100Kph winds,
and a power company too underfunded to keep up with tree trimming.

R's,
John

PS: You also wouldn't believe how cheap the power is.  California's
prices are high compared to most of the US, but it's still only about
€0.15 per KWh.