5G roadblock: labor

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Thu Jan 2 19:02:56 UTC 2020

----- On Dec 30, 2019, at 9:16 PM, Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca wrote:

Hi,

> On Mon, 2019-12-30 at 16:52 -0800, Sabri Berisha wrote:
>>
>> Who needs more than 640Kb of memory?
>>
>> We don't know what the future holds. This is an interesting read,
>> featuring 5g to perform a "hologram" phone call:
>> https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45009458
>
> While I appreciate that this is just "an example" of why I might need
> more than "640Kb of memory" (or more pertinently, more than just a few
> MBits/s of phone bandwidth), it's not a realistic/relevant example.
>
> Holographic phone calls?  I barely ever use even video calling of any
> sort.  The "picture" portion of the call almost always adds zero value
> -- helping my mom load paper in her printer using Duo to actually see
> and navigate the physical restrictions of her printer from 300KM away,
> aside.

Maybe you're just dating yourself here :) I use video calling on an almost
daily basis with my family living in another country, 9 timezones away. My
daughter can spend hours in her ipad "playing" with grandpa, live on video.

But that was just an example. I'm sure everyone on this list has been in
a professional video presence meeting where you spend the first 10 minutes
getting online, only to have a horrible experience because Joe from HR is
on a shitty DSL link in the middle of nowhere, with his kids crying in the
background. Give Joe more bandwidth and he can find a quiet place without
all the latency/jitter.

One thing I've learned working in this industry for a few years now is that
when you give consumers bandwidth, they'll find a way to use it.

Thanks,

Sabri