5G roadblock: labor

Ben Cannon ben at 6by7.net
Thu Jan 2 18:30:50 UTC 2020

> The primary purpose seems to be barriers to entry and competition.

I could have told you that when I started a pirate FM radio station at 10.  About limiting reach.   There are valid RF safety concerns, but that could be solved via other less draconian regulatory procedures.

That said, 10 watts vs 100mw.  It’s laughable.  5G/LTE is in another class from WiFi, not so much technically (but yes technically speaking as well) but from a regulatory perspective alone it’s a no brainer.

A future hypothetical protocol could solve a lot of WiFi’s roaming capacity dead spot and penetration issues.  However the laws of physics will make even 2.4 and especially 5Ghz behave more like light than “radio” we are familiar with from lower frequency transmission.

-Ben Cannon
CEO 6x7 Networks & 6x7 Telecom, LLC
ben at 6by7.net <mailto:ben at 6by7.net>