5G roadblock: labor

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Jan 1 14:11:48 UTC 2020

On 30/Dec/19 23:39, Brandon Martin wrote:

> In theory, this is what "Hotspot 2.0" is designed to solve.  You
> authenticate to the ESSID using your mobile carrier credentials, and
> the resulting connection backhauls over an Internet tunnel to your
> carrier who can handle the hand-off/roaming transparently for you.
>
> It also includes some provisions for settlement so that Wi-Fi operator
> can get a kickback from the mobile carrier for offloading their
> traffic.  I'm sure that will be lucrative for mom and pop coffee shops...
>
> Of course, this is also what Mobile IP was intended to solve, and we
> all know how widely that's deployed.

Two of our mobile carriers in South Africa offer Wi-Fi Calling Roaming
when you travel.

As long as you can get wi-fi, all calls and SMS's work as though they
are on the home network, including pricing.

The only issues I've had is in some countries, SMS notifications can
fail. So you need to turn off the wi-fi and/or switch to another roaming
GSM partner to get it to work again. This is an issue if you are doing
some banking and need to confirm OTP's via SMS while on the road.

Mark.