5G roadblock: labor

Mark Milhollan mlm at pixelgate.net
Wed Jan 1 06:30:08 UTC 2020

On Mon, 30 Dec 2019, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

>I'm not saying that maybe one day we won't need 25Mb/s to a hand-held
>device, but hologram telephone calling, Netflixing and even video
>calling, are not the use-cases, IMHO.

Actually you went on to say that future innovations shouldn't exist
because that's just crass consumerism, and that we should be satisfied
with (in particular) HDMI instead of desiring better -- sorry, people
will want better, e.g., the realism of 4k, 8k and 16k which the devices
and networks of today either cannot provide (that HDMI flatscreen
display probably cannot handle even 4k much less 8k+) or would struggle
to provide (carrying 25+ Mb/s to dozens or hundreds of nodes -- remember
even pico cells server multiple nodes).

Video to tablets and phones/phablets are indeed a major use case, for
the majority not you or I -- you don't want high bandwidth video calling
yet others might, i.e., Facetime is quite the thing and perhaps in 2
years with enough bandwidth available those holographic calls would be
too.  Even I might change my mind if my customers began demanding
high-fidelity video conferencing even while mobile.

Some messages back mention was made of SSH being nice over the reduced
latency 5G brings which might appeal to you but would be meaningless to
most users.  I had no issue with SSH even over 1xRTT so I guess 3G need
not have been deployed.

IoT will need lots of bandwidth but not the low latency nor the reduced
jitter that 5G can provide.  A single thing generally won't need much
but that isn't the measure since the idea is there will eventually be
hundreds of things per household and thousands or millions per business,
of which dozens, hundreds or thousands will be within the service area
of a group of cells.  And even if that's still low in toto it translates
to needing headroom so the things that do need significant individual
streams won't starve.  Besides we aren't the customers for most of
these, we're the product.

But there's no need to imagine a killer use case nor even a significant
set of cases -- they will come if the ability is there.  In NA the key
will be probably the cost, as another message pointed out.  The
transition from 3G to 4G didn't proportionally increase the usage
allowed, at least IME, but it was enough that many make video calls from
their mobile device and some do watch videos on them.

/mark