GPS Sync Outage

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Jan 1 00:37:26 UTC 2020

> On Dec 31, 2019, at 5:32 PM, Andreas Ott <andreas at naund.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 05:08:17PM -0500, Matt Hoppes wrote:
>> Is anyone else seeing GPS timing source outages across the U. S. In the last two hours?
>
> On what hardware/firmware are you seeing this?
>
> Nothing unusual in the Bay Area so far, in other words "All Quiet on the
> Western Front". I am seeing receivers synced to at least 6 or 7 sats. Two
> different locations; one Garmin 18LVC, one uBlox 6M hardware. There is
> also no chatter about it on the time-nuts list where I would suspect to
> see it first.

There’s a fair amount of hardware that uses GPS sync for wireless and I’m guessing this is likely a vendor bug w/ UBNT hardware, but it’s also good to know if it’s broader than that.

I know there’s some interesting java bugs related to the switchover for 2020 as well, eg:

https://twitter.com/NmVAson/status/1207820284268597249

I know of at least once place that was hit by this.

- Jared