Hi-Rise Building Fiber Suggestions

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Feb 26 16:25:20 UTC 2020

On 26/Feb/20 18:14, Randy Bush wrote:

> so you have to stock both single and multi?  hmmm

Optics are dirt cheap. We don't pay the equipment vendors for their
flavour :-).

That said, stocking MM and SM is cheaper than stocking just SM, because
we can reliably predict when/where we shall use either.

For MM, it is always on the same floor, within a space of 1 - 10 racks,
all nicely pinched together.

In the old days, equipment vendors always shipped MM ports before SM
anyway. Over 13 years ago, some line cards only shipped with MM for
10Gbps ports for almost 6 months before SM options were available. We
had the same issue with our first 100Gbps ports as little as 2 years
ago, for MPO cables.

For customer circuits, SM pricing can be scoffed at. What is more
important to us is that the optics are multi-rate. And even more
important now, is that our 3rd party optics suppliers can allow us to
code and re-code optics to our heart's content.

Mark.