Hi-Rise Building Fiber Suggestions

Abhi Devireddy abhi at devireddy.com
Wed Feb 26 03:48:41 UTC 2020

Hey Norman,
I'm in the middle of a construction project where we've got 50 data rooms in one building.
I've researched a lot of different options and we ended up with just home runs.

A couple of items to consider and think about:

  1.  Have you looked into the incremental additional costs associated with more fiber? Smallest that we've seen trunk fiber is 6 strands of SM fiber. When you look at pre-termed fiber with MTP/MPO connectors, it might be worthwhile to have home runs to each floor.
  2.  L2 rings IMHO seem pretty brittle. I know there are L2 ring products like Juniper BTI, which use ERPS and not strictly STP/RSTP to move blocking ports, and those seem a little better although it's mostly statically configured.

With one pair going up the stack and another coming down, what happens when a device in the middle releases some magic smoke? Do you have 2 devices at each landing?

Now that I've (maybe?) shot holes in some arguments, my personal preference, in a situation like this, would be to use passive DWDM.
With an OADM at each floor, you can easily terminate all the wavelengths at the home run location and have "dedicated" L1 paths to each floor. You could use the 2nd pair of fiber to even set up some form of link-agg if you so choose.

Another non-optimal option might also be something like GPON, although I've stayed away from that.

Passive DWDM would also give you room for expansion and you could have 10Gbe optics at each floor which would give you the full bandwidth at each landing.

Hope this helps. I'd be curious if anyone else has ever used DWDM in an intra-building scenario.

Thanks,
Abhi