[nanog] Re: Quagga for production?

Chriztoffer Hansen chriztoffer at netravnen.de
Sun Feb 23 18:34:53 UTC 2020

Raymond Burkholder wrote:
> On 2020-02-23 5:26 a.m., Dmitry Sherman wrote:
>> Anybody working with Quagga for production peering with multiple peers
>> and dynamic eBGP/iBGP announcement?
>>
> Free Range Routing (FRR) forked Quagga a few years back.  I would say it
> is the new Quagga.
>
> But either flavour handles multiple peers and full routing tables / DFZ
> with aplomb.
>
> VYOS was Quagga, but now incorporates FRR, and is a good routing workhorse.

PfSense, too.

https://blog.vyos.io

https://cumulusnetworks.com/blog/free-range-routing-anniversary/

https://www.cloudscale.ch/en/news/2017/11/27/new-border-routers-with-frr

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/04/quagga_open_source_routing_resuscitated_as_free_range_routing/

https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/US19/presentation_6721_1554447941.pdf

https://www.zdnet.com/article/internet-experiment-goes-wrong-takes-down-a-bunch-of-linux-routers/
<= Used by players as the bgp speaker on edge network nodes. Article is
of the 'famous' experiment from last year. Were use of an experimental
BGP code. Caused FRR bgp speakers to crash. The code error was since be
corrected as an emergency hot-fix.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18552425

--

Best regards,