QUIC traffic throttled on AT&T residential

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Feb 21 20:42:25 UTC 2020

> On Feb 21, 2020, at 2:22 PM, Dan Wing <danwing at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There are choices, such as making connection initiation, connection acceptance, and connection termination parsable by network elements on the path so state can be established, maintained, and cleared, DoS can be identified, and so on.  The decision was to hide all that from network elements.

I think those design choices lead directly to these known cases where a UDP policer is encountered.  I can drive along the road and not crash into the trees, but when I make a choice to deploy something without the proper safety equipment and it crashes, blaming the road seems like a poor response.

I can already hear the QUIC WG types blaming the network in abstentia, because well, why would an operator want to keep their network functioning? :-)

- Jared