QUIC traffic throttled on AT&T residential

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Thu Feb 20 21:53:13 UTC 2020

>>> 	As a network operator my goal was always to ensure customers receive
>>> the traffic they expected, high rates of UDP were often not what they wanted.
>>>
>>> 	Adusting the limits may be useful but I still think the question of
>>> what rate of UDP traffic is acceptable is a practical one for the future.
>>>
>>> 	- Jared
>> I think that's a fair statement Jared. How about this question: Would it be reasonable for one to presume that someone purchasing a 25Mbps internet connection might potentially want to send or receive 25Mbps of UDP traffic? I can think of a few (not uncommon) applications where this would be the case (VPNs, security cameras using RTP, teleconferencing, web browsers implementing QUIC, DNS servers, hosted PBX, etc).
> I can think of many legitimate cases, but i think this is where you have internet for everyone and internet for the tech-savvy/business split that becomes interesting.
>
> I’ve generally been willing to pay more for a business class service for support and improved response SLA.  The average user isn’t going to detect that 10% of their UDP has gone missing, nor should they be expected to.
>
> - Jared
And here I think is where one crosses the threshold between providing an
"internet connection" and providing a connection "that can be used to
access specific applications or services" (as defined by your provider).
This is one step away from your ISP selling you a connection to access
Facebook, if you want to access Twitter that's available on their
premium package. Oh, you want to access Slack, sorry we don't offer that
as a package yet. Call back in a month. You need to esss-esss-achhh?
I've never heard of that, why would you want to do that?