QUIC traffic throttled on AT&T residential

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Feb 20 19:57:01 UTC 2020

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 02:50:58PM -0500, Todd Underwood wrote:
> and just to check one thing...
>
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 2:33 PM Daniel Sterling <sterling.daniel at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I don't particularly *want* to block or advocate blocking QUIC, but if
> > I keep hitting the issue and can't help people troubleshoot, what
> > other sane option have I?
> >

> i don't think you've addressed the "replace your broken ISP" action that is
> clearly sane and would fix this, right?
>
> i'm assuming that this is not an option to get a functional IP layer?

often one has to live in the world of reality.  if google is very worried about
the broadband experience they can continue to invest in this space and challenges.

it seems the corporate overlords has led it to not continue to persue this option.

it's hard to have it both ways, wanting unlimited UDP, low cost (free?) ports for
bits, etc..

there's natural dynamics at play here with business interests that haven't quite
balanced out yet.  perhaps the LTE/5G overlay will replace fixed broadband at home
with managed CPE from the cellular providers.

if the question is will the browser vendor (google) or the broadband provider (att)
move first, i can already predict the answer.  my experience (again) with the quic
wg is they seem to think there's many options and bad providers will be replaced
which seems disconnected from reality.

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net