QUIC traffic throttled on AT&T residential

Daniel Sterling sterling.daniel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 19:31:57 UTC 2020

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 2:11 PM Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:
>         As a network operator my goal was always to ensure customers receive
> the traffic they expected, high rates of UDP were often not what they wanted.

Well, I wouldn't say I *want* UDP traffic, but if everyone is bound
and determined to send it to me for web / video traffic unless I block
it, I suppose we should all work together to improve my (average v4
end-user) experience.

I set up a rolling tcpdump to capture QUIC / HTTP/3 traffic.

tcpdump -C 100 -w quic -W 100 -i eth1 'udp and port 443'

I can make this dump available for inspection if (when) I organically
experience the issue again.

Is there anything else I can do to help Google or AT&T improve things?
Any magic debugging I can turn on on the client side?

Feel free to ping me off list...

I don't particularly *want* to block or advocate blocking QUIC, but if
I keep hitting the issue and can't help people troubleshoot, what
other sane option have I?

-- Dan