QUIC traffic throttled on AT&T residential

Dave Bell me at geordish.org
Thu Feb 20 16:41:35 UTC 2020

> Not indiscriminate.

Indiscriminate - done at random or without careful judgement.

Considering that Daniel is complaining that QUIC is broken, it certainly
seems like some network operators are subjecting all UDP traffic on their
network to the same policers. This feels pretty indiscriminate to me.

I'm all for policing the known baddies, such as CHARGEN and NTP, but to
discard UDP for fun is like taking a sledgehammer where a scalpel will do.

> Access networks need controls to maintain uptime against the non-stop
> barrage of ddos attacks. I am sure you have seen the headlines and mails on
> this list, ddos is hard to deal with. Access network will use whatever
> tools are required to keep the pagers quiet and customers happy.

I operate an access network that does not blanket police UDP. Google give
me a dashboard that tell me 45% of requests  were served happily by QUIC,
and I have no customers complaining about things not working, and our
pagers are silent.