QUIC traffic throttled on AT&T residential

Keith Medcalf kmedcalf at dessus.com
Thu Feb 20 15:50:27 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 20 February, 2020 08:31, Ca By <cb.list6 at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 8:34 AM Tom Beecher <beecher at beecher.cc> wrote:

>		I only wish I were insane; but from where I'm sitting, QUIC
>has broken
>		my internet, and the resolution is blocking QUIC.
>
>	The QUIC protocol itself isn't breaking anything ; some middlebox is
>breaking QUIC. It's likely collateral damage from honest attempts to
>mitigate bad stuff. Blocking QUIC at your home edge surely helps to some
>degree, but the upstream issue still remains.

>	I recall reading a draft from the WG about having things open a
>parallel TCP connection in case UDP got horked for seamless fallback, but
>I don't remember if it ever moved past that, or if anyone actually
>implemented it.

>UDP is broken
>
>The Google devs said it would in fine in 2014
>
>They said it would be “exciting”

UDP is not "broken".  UDP is the UNRELIABLE DATAGRAM PROTOCOL and it is living up to its name!  What is broken is something pretending that the "U" in UDP means something other than UNRELIABLE and then pretending their use of an unreliable delivery mechanism makes it reliable when that clearly is not the case.

In other words, applying a coat of paint to a sows ear to make it look like a silk purse does not make the sows ear into a silk purse.  It is still just a sows ear painted to look like a silk purse, and still behaves like a sows ear.