QUIC traffic throttled on AT&T residential

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Feb 20 00:51:23 UTC 2020

> On 20 Feb 2020, at 11:29, Daniel Sterling <sterling.daniel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 11:47 PM Daniel Sterling
> <sterling.daniel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> random-source-port UDP traffic does not impress the AT&T network flow
>> control systems, and your DNS traffic becomes unbearably slow (or is
>
> I received a comment that maybe the issue is not AT&T's "core"
> network, but rather to do with the NAT device in my house.
>
> Oh, I wish this were the case!
>
> Unfortunately, there is no NAT CPE from AT&T involved:
>
> I've taken AT&T's RG CPE out completely. That device, which otherwise
> would indeed be my gateway, is unused on my home network, completely
> unpowered and unplugged.
>
> Instead I've got a linux box hooked directly up to the ONT. This works
> fine; occasionally I *do* have do reconnect their RG and let it
> re-auth to the PON, but once the connection is live, I fully unplug
> their RG again, and plug my laptop (spoofing its MAC) back in directly
> to the ONT.
>
> The laptop is running ubuntu 19.10, so there should be no artificial
> limits. It's running NAT directly from the v4 IP I get from DHCP.
>

> You may have noticed v4 is a theme here. I have nothing against using
> v6 -- , I must admit the truth is I have no idea how to make ubuntu
> acquire a v6 -- address? block ? I don't even know the right term --
> from uverse.

It should just be a DHCPv6 PREFIX DELEGATION (PD).  See RFC 8415.

If AT&T are still using 6RD (IPv6 Rapid Deployment) that is described in
RFC 5969.  There is a DHCPv4 option that you can request that gives
you the details for configuring the IPv6 in IPv4 tunnel and how to
compute the IPv6 prefix from the allocated IPv4 address.

CPE’s just try both and use DHCPv6 PD if both exist.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka at isc.org