QUIC traffic throttled on AT&T residential

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Feb 19 00:25:13 UTC 2020

The members of the QUIC WG at IETF have not thought this was a problem as they don't observe it across the board.

The cost for payloads with QUIC is much higher on the CPU side vs TCP as well - this is also not considered an issue either.

The explanation I got (which seems fair) from someone was that they only way to roll a new transport was to squat on some existing stuff that would make it through firewalls.

We have an internet that is largely fixed around running NATs and TCP and UDP only these days. I for one find this sad and don't see a good way forward on either side.

Sent from my iCar